- Advice or recommendation from a colleague.
- Timely approach by an agency.
- Recommendation from a marketer from another company.
- Quality and content of agency websites.
- General, unattributable awareness.
Another note, is timing. Call it luck, if you will. If firms can connect with marketers when there is a need, then the chances are much higher that an engagement will occur. So, as I've always believed, in order to be lucky, you have to at least be present to win!
So, how do agencies be "johnny-on-the-spot" and work the referral angles at the same time? Deliberately.